Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Recipe 18: Tempeh of the Sea

Tempeh of the Sea 

With this summer heat wave in California I wanted to avoid turning on the oven or heating up the kitchen in order to make dinner tonight. This tempeh of the sea salad was perfect for avoiding heating up the kitchen. I put it on my panini press and voila! The heat wave is going to continue the rest of the week, and I will have plenty of this salad to eat leftover in the fridge. 

Before I was vegan, I used to love a great chicken salad sandwich. I found this tempeh of the sea recipe from my new favorite friend to follow on Pinterest... VegNews Magazine. Check out VegNew's boards here. VegNews Magazine is the only vegan lifestyle magazine that I've come across. VegNews got this recipe was from the blog For the Love of Food. Check out the original recipe here.

Tempeh is used to replace the “tuna.”  (If you are unfamiliar with tempeh you can read more about it here). You can eat this in cold/hot sandwiches, on top of romaine salads, with crackers, or just plain. 
   
Tempeh of the Sea
Serves 4
  • 1 -8 oz package plain tempeh, crumbled
  • 1/4 medium red onion, diced
  • 2 green onions, diced
  • 3 celery ribs, diced
  • 3 Tablespoons sweet relish
  • 1 cup vegan mayo
  • 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
  • sea salt and pepper to taste
Crumble tempeh and mix with the red onion, green onion, celery, relish, mayo and brown mustard.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve cold or grilled.

 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment