Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Recipe 23: Vegan Lentil and Split Pea Soup in the Slow Cooker

I adapted this recipe from a cookbook I've had for awhile now, The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester. I've had my slow cooker for over a year, and have finally taken the time to pull it down from the cupboard and make something! I love the idea of just flipping a switch in the morning, and coming home to my house smelling delicious! I swapped out the spinach in the original recipe for zucchini. My boyfriend brought home a giant zucchini from the garden at the school he works at. I only used half of the zucchini for this dinner. Some for the soup and some for zucchini cornbread muffins.
The gigantic zucchini!

 

Vegan Split Pea and Lentil Soup

(Soy Free & Gluten Free)


Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 1 cup lentils
  • 1 cup split peas
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons vegan chicken-flavored bouillon
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/4 teaspoons ground rosemary
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
  • 2 cups of zucchini
The night before:
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute the onion until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute longer. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

In the morning:
Combine the sauteed onion, lentils, peas, zucchini, water, bouillon, bay leaves, tarragon, marjoram, rosemary, and salt and pepper in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.






The finished soup.


Vegan Zucchini Cornbread Muffins
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment