Saturday, June 8, 2013

Southwestern Breakfast Hash

My favorite thing about the weekend is my Saturday mornings. I love sleeping in (although this morning my body decided to wake up at 6:30), making a yummy breakfast with coffee, and relaxing on the couch with my love. It's the BEST part of my weekend! This southwestern breakfast hash turned out spectacular, and I have plenty left for breakfast tomorrow morning!

I found this recipe on Pinterest...well where I find most of my recipe inspirations. I've created quite a recipe collection on there! Check out all my pinned vegan recipes on my Pinterest here. This recipe was orginally featured on WholeLiving.com (Martha Stewart's food magazine). You can find the orginal recipe here. I modified the recipe a little bit to add a little more flavor and extra veggies! Enjoy!



Ingredients

  • 8-9 small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 zucchinis, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
  • 3 scallions, cut into 1/4-inch slices (reserve 1 for garnish)
  • 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast seasoning
  • 1 package (8 ounces) plain, organic tofu, diced into squares
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 medium avocado
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • garlic powder

Directions

  1. Bring potatoes to a boil in a pot of salted water. Cook until knife-tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  2. In a separate pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of butter on medium-high heat. Lightly dust the tofu in a flour mixture (flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder) and add into pan. Cook until both sides of the tofu are browned, 7 to 8 minutes.
  3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin and minced garlic, cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
  4. Heat remaining oil over medium heat. Cook zucchinis, jalapeno, scallions, tomatoes, beans, and nutritional yeast, stirring, until tomatoes begin to break down, 5 to 7 minutes. Add potatoes and tofu, cook until heated through. Remove pan from heat. Top with avocado and Tapatio.
*Remember to always season and taste as you go. And always try and use organic ingredients whenever possible!


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I just came across your site via Pinterest! I am trying to cook more vegan things and make that transition & I had a recipe similar to this at a vegan restaurant here in Kansas City & yours is the closest I have found. I want to do this; it looks easy-ish (for a beginning cook, right?!0 Maybe add some kale or spinach and hot sauce.

    Thanks so much I'm going to start following your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie!

    Thanks for your feedback! Have you tried making my breakfast hash yet? If yes, how did it turn out? It requires a lot of ingredients, but it is easy to make. Good luck on your transition to eating a more vegan diet. Check out the book The Veganist...it's a great book to help you make the transition. Also, let me know if you need any tips or help!

    ReplyDelete