Sunday, March 18, 2012

Recipe 1: Vegan Shepherd's Pie





Happy St. Patrick's Day Weekend! It's been rainy and cold in Southern California, which is perfect weather for Irish comfort food. My next challenge is to feature 30 of my favorite vegan recipes. My first recipe is Irish-inspired. Shepherd's Pie! I took it to a friend's house and all my non-vegan friends seemed to enjoy it!

I got the recipe idea from PETA.org. PETA has a great St. Patrick's Day menu ideas on their website. Check the rest out here.

Vegan Shepherd's Pie

4 medium potatoes, diced (I used Organic Russet Potatoes)
2 Tbsp. margarine (I used Earth Balance Margarine)
1/4 cup soy milk or liquid nondairy creamer
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
12 oz. faux ground beef-style crumbles  (I used Trader Joe's Beef-Less Ground)
1 10.5-oz. can Campbells mushroom gravy (I used Simply Organic Mushroom Sauce)
1 6-oz. can mixed peas and carrots, drained (I used frozen peas and fresh organic carrots)
Salt, garlic powder, pepper, and cayenne, to taste

• Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash with the margarine and soy milk or nondairy creamer. Season with salt and pepper.
• In a medium pan, sauté the onion in the oil until translucent.
• In a medium bowl, mix the cooked onions, faux beef crumbles, mushroom gravy, peas and carrots, and spices. Pour into a pie pan. Top the crumble mixture with the potatoes, spreading to the edges.
• Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are browned and the crumble mixture bubbles out the edges.

Makes 6 to 9 servings





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment